Thursday 30 December 2010

Derek Marks Blog - January 2011

Hello all – and I trust you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year celebrations. I spent a lot of my time in December talking to family and friends about how excited I am about going on my first ever cruise holiday in 2011.

Of course, once you start talking about cruise holidays with people you know – the stories start to flow. I tend to sit back, listen and absorb everyone’s different experiences. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that every one of the stories were positive. I have some lovely neighbours who are about to set sail to India for their umpteenth cruise holiday. They have said to me that the attraction for them is that they have the opportunity to gather various members of the family and all have a great time together. This hadn’t really occurred to me before, but the more I listened – the more I learnt. They said that it was a great opportunity to spend valuable and memorable times with the family and enjoy the onboard experience – as well as have their own individual holiday as they chose on the various excursions and experiences at the array of different ports.

As I’ve mentioned on the programmes, my parents went with family and ended up with a greater cruising experience as they could all make not only long-lasting holiday memories, but have that connection to the family as well. I think it’s an excellent opportunity.

I’m already starting to think now with the new year of doing a little bit of research on all the destinations along the way of our Norwegian fjords cruise in June (for details of the cruise – just look back at www.liverpoolcruiseclub.com/tv ).

Well, it turns out that another member of my family has been to the Norwegian fjords, so I’m picking up tips on the ‘must see’ places to go. Again, the joy of this particular cruise (and a number of cruises available) is that there’s no flying involved either. This is great if you have a fear of flying, or you just don’t fancy the upheaval of it all.

The more I learn, the more I discover that on-board a cruise ship you are not constrained by weight limits either. I like the idea of this, as with this being a first cruise – I want to make sure that I’m not caught out about what to wear as I become accustomed to my first cruise. So, that’s now not a worry at all. I can pack suitable clothes for the formal occasions, and take a wide variety of other clothes for all of that shopping, sightseeing and exploring that we’ll be doing as the Braemer makes its’ way from Dover via Amsterdam out to the fjords of Norway.

I’d love to hear from you if you’ve had the opportunity to take a similar cruise already. What should I definitely be planning for this trip? Why not e-mail me, its derek@liverpoolcruiseclub.co.uk well, as we start a brand new year – can I wish you all the best as you start to think about the holiday that you’ll be taking this year.

Talk to you next month, oh – and of course daily on sky 659 with John. All the best, Derek

Derek Marks
Presenter - Liverpool Cruise Club
derek@liverpoolcruiseclub.co.uk