Tuesday 13 July 2010

Celebrity Eclipse by Joe

As part of the Cruise Convention in Southampton, I visited the Celebrity Eclipse. Of all the ships I visited during the convention, this was the ship that had the “wow” factor. We entered on deck two and were then directed to the Atrium to go to the top deck. The ride up through the height of the ship in a glass lift was certainly memorable.

On the open deck, I enjoyed a walk on the real grass lawn. You’re really encouraged to kick off your shoes and feel the grass under your feet. You can have a picnic, or play games on the lawn. The glass blowing show is just by the lawn too.

As the ship is so large, there’s a huge choice of bars and restaurants. There’s a bar with an ice top where your drink never warms up, and you can write your order in the ice. There’s also a large spa and fitness centre to burn off all those calories you add with the fabulous cuisine.
I felt that the service on board was excellent. The staff just seemed to know when you wanted something. The waiter in the restaurant never stopped smiling, and the wine waiter was very prompt and efficient. The lunch we had on board was delicious and beautifully presented. I think someone had told them all my favourite dishes!

There are several speciality restaurants on board, and I particularly liked the Tuscan Grill and the Qsine fusion restaurant. How do you like the thought of using a Rubik’s cube to choose your dessert? There are some really quirky design ideas on board, and the ship has a top quality feel. I was particularly impressed with the friendliness of the staff on board, and I can’t wait to get back on for a longer time.